Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gone Fishing

To be completely honest I never fully understood the thrill of fishing. I felt like it was an old man sport as they had hours of time because they were too old to do anything else. How wrong was I!! Today I had the blinkers ripped off and my eyes opened. Fortunately I was with my all time favorite 2 fishermen in the USA, Brandon and Brent. There would be only 3 others who may be better in my eyes, my beloved late Grandfather, my Dad and my sweetheart of an older brother, Anthony.



When we first set off I was planning to lie on the front of the boat and sunbathe - why not it was a gorgeous sunny afternoon. They had other plans for me and within 10 minutes of being out on the ocean a rod was thrust in to my hands. Clueless I think I tried hooking them more than any fish. They taught me how to cast and while they were trying to snag fish (I say trying as it truly was dead out there, no fish biting) The calm waters helped me practice and by the time we moved on to a better position, I was feeling really good about my casting. Just in time for Brandon to shout "I got one" The excitement began, I could see the tension on the rod, he was gently reeling the slippery one in and then wham finally in a net and on the deck. The next part was a little hard as he jumped all over the deck until they took care of the "humpy" with a quick blow to the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment